1. Sometimes the best interference is no interference. You don’t have to confront everything that goes wrong in your life. A lot of fights aren’t worth picking. You’ll be surprised how much time and tolerance can change people for the better.
2. Love food and eat everything. Never sacrifice your love of food for anything or anyone. Exercise. Go to the gym. Do what you have to do. But don’t stop eating. Ever. Because food is just too good.
3. Forgive anybody who is a good person, even if they made a terrible mistake. Because they are a good person and even good people make poor choices sometimes.
4. Do not ask for more money unless you are willing to work harder. Even if you think you deserve more money for the amount of work that you are doing currently, after you ask for that raise, you’re going to have to work harder, whether or not you deserved that raise without having to work harder.
5. Listen to the news and know what’s going on in the world. Without my aunt, I would never have known to tune into NPR now and then.
6. Finding yourself is a never ending process. Just because you don’t know exactly who you are and who you want to be, doesn’t mean you’re falling behind. Just because you think you know exactly who you are and who you want to be, doesn’t mean you’re getting ahead. The beauty of life and growing older is that you will get to learn more and more about yourself constantly.
7. It’s okay to not win. That doesn’t mean you lost. I always thought that there was something so obviously humiliating about not winning, I’m not exactly sure why, but I’ve been this way since I was a kid. My aunt taught me that there is so much fun in just trying for the sake of trying and not giving yourself the pressure to have to win. More often than not, you’ll end up excelling more than you thought you would when you’re not stressing yourself out so much about winning/losing.